Monday, February 18, 2013

Thinking about MAPI

When I lived back home in Morgantown, I used to dabble in some paranormal investigation. I guess what got me thinking about it is just my recent experience with the unbelievable...but I still think back on my time in MAPI (Morgantown Association of Paranormal Investigators) like damn, that was so intense.

I remember I got involved after this college girl Cassandra posted on an online forum. She was just looking for some answers cause she had a pretty scary time on a haunted road in Cheat Lake. It was pretty interesting. I myself hadn't had any run-ins with ghosts before I saw her post, but I always kinda believed in ghosts (kept that one to myself.) Living in Morgantown, I'd get spooked walking by really old buildings.


It's kinda like, when you're in a really old place the history is almost palpable. But when you think about the history in terms of people, you realize the possibility of spirits being left behind too.

Anyways, I got in touch with this girl Cassandra cause I was interested in hearing more about what happened to her. I dunno if that counts as exploiting the situation, but what can I say. I can be curious and apathetic at the same time, right? So sue me.

Turns out I wasn't the only guy interested. A couple other people turned up when I met up with her for the first time. There was Peter- a reporter, and the only guy who might have been exploiting the situation more than me, Alcyone- a girl who was definitely in it for the ghost chat, and Auden- there was definitely something up with this one.


All of us had our different motivations in the beginning, even though we weren't completely open with each other, but by the end of it we were a tight-knit bunch. To be honest I think what we were doing got us all really involved on a level i never expected. It was like.... I dunno, taking your work home with you. Even after we got together, I'd keep thinking about what we talked about. I mean paranormal activity became something I thought about over coffee in the morning, weird.


I have to say though, I didn't mind that it took up so much of my time- mentally and physically. In terms of being a group, we were organized as hell. We drew out maps of what we found, linked 'em together, wrote out documents for each site... The group gave me a sense of accomplishment I wasn't used to. I was really sad to say bye to those guys, but the group was coming to a kinda natural end anyway. I think in a way the closer we got to solving all of Morgantown's mysteries, the more aware we got of the association breaking up.


As someone who didn't have a lot going on before it, I hit kind of a low point after. But goddamn, the times I had with MAPI...

Well, it's late and I gotta pass out. Possibly more details of MAPI later.

-Tim


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I wish we could relive the good old days too. Maybe we should have a reunion and take a look at some Morgantown sites for old time's sake?

    ReplyDelete